PDA

View Full Version : stover can haz boost? DSM content

stover
10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
well i picked her up today from "got insulin?" and had some freetime to go over the car. so here she is

the first picture is the car in my driveway, second is when i removed the wing to clean under it, third is the unfortunate finding of a broken stud and a stripped hole, and lastly the gauges/interior

dudewheresmycar
10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
what are your plans?

stover
10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
plans are to have a low 11sec street car. possibly daily driver.

today i hit up the junkyard and got some good stuff, got low mileage shifter bushings and return spring (mine were missing/messed up). also got a few misc retaining clips and bolts i needed. gota get further into it to figure out what else i need.

so my things to get list and to do list is

turbo (found a 16g)
ecu (found a non eprom 1g)
some type of tuning software (looking at HKS VPC with GCC)
fuel pump (found a 255)
drill/heli coil two stud holes for manifold
figure out wether it really has a trans problem
get tires for it

so pretty much im just waiting on money

rich33389
10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I would skip the HKS VPC and go with ecmlink or run jackal...

TalonTsi97
10-05-2010, 10:57 PM
16g won't have you running 11s on a basic setup unless your goal for low 11's isn't in the current plan of attack.
Go with DSMlink and never look back
Go with a nice size injector set now so you don't have to upgrade later

Sberk06
10-06-2010, 04:24 AM
agreed.. definitely go with a bigger turbo if you want 11's. you could possibly push the 16g for 12's. Personally, I got a 16g for my setup for now but once I build the motor, I'm gonna sell it and go big, I just got a good deal on it at the time.

stover
10-06-2010, 06:00 AM
well my currint list of things to do does not fit my plan for 11s, i know that. for now i want to get the car on the road since winter is coming. then during winter ill save for a bigger turbo such as a holset and ill also get dsm link but the deal im getting on the HKS VPC is impossible to refuse

TalonTsi97
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
16g's can make good power, more then people realize. I just wouldn't expect low 11's out of it unless you running a good motor, e85/meth, and a auto setup or something. Most people don't push them or have other issues with their setup & instead of maximizing their setup they just go bigger. It will run 12's allllll day on evo3 16g though which is still pretty quick for the amount of money you will have into it. Plus you could always upgrade it to HTA from FP down the road and have a very nice street sleeper setup.

I'd really just hold out & do dsmlink unless your getting everything else to have it up and running for free. I also think if your set on a holset now then just get one and do it. No sense double spending if you don't need the car slapped together immedietley.

stover
10-06-2010, 09:55 PM
well ive changed my plan slightly, for now i want to get it up and running

so heres the to get list

fuel pump (getting 255 this weekend)
turbo (getting 16g this weekend)
ecu (this weekend or next)
hks VPC or safc (next weekend)
tires (whenever i sell the tires/turbo housings i have)

so honestly im just waiting on money..

then during the winter i will DD it on the 16g and save for the holset or maybe fp red and DSMlink, and come spring do the upgrades

also i was warned of a possible trans problem when buying it so i want to get that all sorted out before i slap a big turbo on it

dudewheresmycar
10-07-2010, 06:29 PM
sounds good

Got Insulin?
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Please, bro to bro, skip the VPC. The thing is borderline unusable, and miserable to tune. Ask me how I know :lol:

stover
10-09-2010, 09:22 PM
bumpin this up cus today i got the turbo and a fuel pump =] also removed the crappy stock manifold studs and found two stripped holes so i have to heli-coil 2 holes and drill out one stud tomorow. also installed solid shifter bracket bushings so now the shifting is super precise.

things to get still are

jpipe
ecu (picking up nxt weekend)
battery
SACF 2 (picking up nxt weekend)
tires

huge shout-out to 609GST for the turbo and pump. the turbo came with all the feed/drain lines, an 02 housing and the 02 sensor

way more then i expected thanks again man

stover
10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
made alot of progress today, drilled and heli-coiled 3 holes, possibly have to do more but im going to try a thread chaser first. traced/labeled as many wires as possible. this gauge wiring is a nighmare they all have the same color wires so you cant tell what wire is for what untill you get to the end of it. also would anyone happen to have a diagram of how to wire up glow shift gauges, they are all 4 wire gauges but i dont know which wires should go where. also today i ripped out an aftermarket alarm that was installed. it was "spidered into everything" < fast and furious quote, so i didnt feel comfortable leaving that huge mess of wires and watnot under the dash especially since they were mostly shotty connections

and no im not bashing "got insulin" or the PO before him its just you work with what you got and he didnt have much , i have the right tools so im rewiring it how i want it