PDA

View Full Version : 6k rev breaks

eviltalon
02-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I have a 93 TSI with a few bolt it on mod's but its basically stock. When i drive normal u know just going through the gears i dont usually have a problem. But when i get on it i feel that the car is losing HP around 6K and it breaks up right after. Its really weird. When it breaks up it feels like a boost leak, but i've had a boost leak before from my lower intercooler pipe and i could hear the leak. I've checked all my piping and their all fine so I'm kind of confused. Any advice would be help :confused:

awdlaserbeam
02-11-2006, 12:49 PM
What mods do you have and how are you tuning it.

eviltalon
02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
What mods do you have and how are you tuning it.
i have 3" turbo back exhaust, K&N intake system, 2g ported exhaust manifold, and magnicore 8.5 spark plug wires. Thats it.

Driven
02-11-2006, 02:01 PM
With those mods, you're probably not goign to make much power after 6k anyway, but if its truely falling on its face, then there may be a problem also.

If you think it feels like a boost leak, did you just do a visual check or an actual boost leak check? A boost leak check ( read on www.vfaq.com ) is the only real way to see if you have a boost leak. Many are not visible.

I would also suggest changing the spark plugs. If the car feels like its cutting out at higher RPM's, its often related to ignition in DSMs. Get a new set of BPR6ES's and consider changing them about every 5k miles. They're cheap and easy to do so its safe insurance.

2point4DSM
02-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Get new NGK BPR7ES gapped to .028-.032. And don't use the coin shaped gappers. They suck. You need to use a good gap checker. Some plugs will come with a .044 gap from the box.

My other guess would be to try out another set of plug wires. I've heard very similar problems from many people using magnecores. They are decent wires but still not as good as good ole NGK or stock plug wires.

Also, is it possible the car is actually running more boost than stock due to your exhaust and the car is leaning out?

Might also want to look into getting a new OEM fuel filter which could cause the car to run lean. I've heard problems with some aftermarket filters. Generally speaking, OEM parts for the most part are best!

Btw, I tend to change my spark plugs with every oil change. They are cheap enough and at least my car tend to beat them up pretty quick.

eviltalon
02-11-2006, 08:16 PM
With those mods, you're probably not goign to make much power after 6k anyway, but if its truely falling on its face, then there may be a problem also.

If you think it feels like a boost leak, did you just do a visual check or an actual boost leak check? A boost leak check ( read on www.vfaq.com ) is the only real way to see if you have a boost leak. Many are not visible.

I would also suggest changing the spark plugs. If the car feels like its cutting out at higher RPM's, its often related to ignition in DSMs. Get a new set of BPR6ES's and consider changing them about every 5k miles. They're cheap and easy to do so its safe insurance.
Naw man i just did a visual check but I'm going to do a actual check soon. I'll also change my plugs. Thanks for the advice :supz:

eviltalon
02-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Get new NGK BPR7ES gapped to .028-.032. And don't use the coin shaped gappers. They suck. You need to use a good gap checker. Some plugs will come with a .044 gap from the box.

My other guess would be to try out another set of plug wires. I've heard very similar problems from many people using magnecores. They are decent wires but still not as good as good ole NGK or stock plug wires.

Also, is it possible the car is actually running more boost than stock due to your exhaust and the car is leaning out?

Might also want to look into getting a new OEM fuel filter which could cause the car to run lean. I've heard problems with some aftermarket filters. Generally speaking, OEM parts for the most part are best!

Btw, I tend to change my spark plugs with every oil change. They are cheap enough and at least my car tend to beat them up pretty quick.
Were would you suggest i get the new NGK BPR7ES gapped to .028-.032.

SpendOne
02-11-2006, 08:36 PM
YOu can special order the 7ES's from Pep Boys. You gap them out yourself.

Driven
02-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Because of how stock he is, I'd stick with 6's. General rule of thumb is you don't need to go up to 7's until your 100hp over stock. The 6's will last longer also in his engine. It's been a long time since I was that stock however, so I can't remember any first hand experience.

2point4DSM
02-11-2006, 08:42 PM
If you need to special order them they will tend to try to charge you an arm and a leg. Talk to a parts guy and see if he is willing to tell you if there is a Pepboys local to you that stocks them. Otherwise you will need to call around. Also try Napa autoparts.

Whenever I find a place like this I tend to buy up their whole stock, lol. I might have 2-3 boxes in my garage at any one time. I think there is like 10 to a box. My supply is usually good for a season at least, lol.

Gorilla Unit 33
02-11-2006, 09:21 PM
My supply is usually good for a season at least, lol.
ohh yeah a season, like you 2005 season was what a drive to philly dyno works LOL j/p u know im only bustin your balls

SpendOne
02-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Nah they dont charge you and arm and a leg. I pay like $1.40 per spark plug. I tend to buy 2 boxes at a time, but I also change mines very very frequently.

2point4DSM
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I walked in to the same pepboys I bought a bunch from once and they told me 2.99 since they were out and had to order them. Not really an arm and a leg if your only buying 4, lol. And yeah, 2005 season was pretty short for the DSM. :driving:

eviltalon
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Because of how stock he is, I'd stick with 6's. General rule of thumb is you don't need to go up to 7's until your 100hp over stock. The 6's will last longer also in his engine. It's been a long time since I was that stock however, so I can't remember any first hand experience.
But In a month or so I'll be runing a t3/t4 Ported 50 trim turbo setup with HKS cams, hayame cam gears, a safc II and 650 injectors. So with that said do u think that I should go with the 7's.

2point4DSM
02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Cam gears on HKS cams is a waste of time on a stockish motor. In fact, if the cam gears come apart, like they did on Buschur's car and many others then they can actually become a liability because it pretty much means bye-bye to that motor.

SpendOne
02-11-2006, 11:01 PM
No need for cam gears. HKS cams are made for drop in. Sell'em and put the money towards something else.

eviltalon
02-12-2006, 11:40 AM
alright guys good call I'll probably sell the cams but should i go with the 7ES's

SpendOne
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
alright guys good call I'll probably sell the cam GEARS but should i go with the 7ES's

fixed

Driven
02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
alright guys good call I'll probably sell the cams but should i go with the 7ES's

You should be changing your plugs regularly. Since your changing the setup shortly, go with either. In my opinion, get 6's now and 7's when you change turbos. Plugs are about an every oil change maintenance item.

eviltalon
02-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks 4 the feedback guys:thumbup:

eviltalon
02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
With this setup, (t3/t4 Ported 50 trim turbo with HKS cams, K&N intake sytem, 3" turbo back exhaust, 2g ported manifold, a safc II, 650 injectors and a 2100 heavy duty 6puck clutch) do u think I'll break 300 at all 4 wheels?

2point4DSM
02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Even on a decent tune with 20++psi of boost you should be there. Otherwise, on a good tune, 26psi and pump my 2.0, FP Green 50trim/TDO6H 8cm setup did 400whp.

Gorilla Unit 33
02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
sweet told you C that you would be up over 300