PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Turbo Miata: Engine dies at full stops, restarts fine while stopped?

wheresmycar
09-16-2010, 01:03 AM
GT2560R

4.30 LSD from a '99
FM Stage 1 Clutch & stock 1.8 flywheel(shaved)

Innovative LC1 WBO2

KYB AGX dampers
'94-97 brake mod
Hawk HPS pads
Centric OE rotors
S/S brake lines from Moss Motors
S/S clutch line

================================================== =======

way into the future plans or find a black and tan to follow CarDriverX:
(01) Tune
(02) Turn signal intake
(03)
(04)
(05)
(06)
(07)
(08)
(09)
(10)
(11)
(12)
(13)
(14)
(15)

TalonTsi97
09-16-2010, 01:12 AM
glad you came up with more info on it then last time i saw you posting about it. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of it and the progress that will come. I'd really like to whip a s/c or simple turbo miata around for fun next year.

Spocknasty
09-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Your coolant hoses are all sorts of funky.

Bring it to JSC Speed tomorrow at 4pm, I can show you some things.

TalonTsi97
09-16-2010, 01:53 AM
engine dies at full stop sounds like a tuning issue, possibly vacuum leak, or a vented bov that should be recirculated.
Happening while slowing down to stop or while your dead stopped? i kno u said full just want to clarify.
I'd take spock up on his offer, and i'd also start with basic maintenance on it since that can never hurt especially on the unknown

wheresmycar
09-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Can I get a raincheck on that? I'm stuck until I find out what day I can take off next week.

Happening while slowing down to stop or while your dead stopped? i kno u said full just want to clarify.

Coming to a complete stop. If I'm rolling at 5mph it didn't die. I've only had 10 total minutes driving this car and have only made 2 full stops driving this car, when it died. 2 for 2.

Spocknasty
09-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Looks like your clutch fluid is skunked. I'm also really curious WTF is going on with the coolant hoses. Set your timing if you haven't already.

Are you running the AFM or a MAP sensor?

If you have no AC and it looks that way, bridge your fans so both run when the car gets hot if they aren't already.

Check your plugs.

Does the car still have a wideband gauge? What ECU are you running? ETC ETC. Hit me up on AIM.

jspek
09-16-2010, 02:51 AM
sounds like you have a vac leak. check all your vacuum lines and couplers. why does your bov look like it has a filter on it?

11secdsm
09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Does it only happen when you're coming to a stop any you press the clutch in? What flywheel is in the car? Perhaps, something too light?

Other than that, been said before...

- Non recirc BOV on a MAF car could do this.
- Vac leak

Check those things out first.

Chaz, I see lots of people running filters on their BOVs these days. Paranoia perhaps?

wheresmycar
09-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Looks like your clutch fluid is skunked. I'm also really curious WTF is going on with the coolant hoses. Set your timing if you haven't already.

I always hear the clutch fluid always becomes darker much faster that the brake fluid, but yeah, I don't don't know how old that is.
No idea on the hoses.
I don't have a timing light.

Are you running the AFM or a MAP sensor?
I'll have to get back to you on this one.

If you have no AC and it looks that way, bridge your fans so both run when the car gets hot if they aren't already.

Thanks. It just saw it was already bridged. Both fans come on.

Check your plugs.
I'll get on that.

Does the car still have a wideband gauge? What ECU are you running? ETC ETC. Hit me up on AIM.
I'll have to get back to you on this one. Same name on AIM? I'd rather just let you see it on Thursday rather than not be able to answer your questions. You have any good time on Thursday?

Does it only happen when you're coming to a stop any you press the clutch in? What flywheel is in the car? Perhaps, something too light?

A lightened/shaved stock one from a 1.8L Miata

I drove it yesterday and the rpms at idle aren't steady. Sometimes at a stop it is fine, usually it will die. After it dies it will take 5-15 seconds before the engine will turn over and it starts. I see the "charge" battery light come on when it dies and asked the seller if it was that and he said it isn't. He knows a bit about cars and I'm pretty sure if it was those small things he would just say it needs a new battery/alternator then "it need to get tuned right"

supraghost
09-19-2010, 09:04 AM
why dont you get it tuned? your gonna do it eventually, why not just do it now and save yourself the hassle and possibly damage to your motor?

wheresmycar
09-20-2010, 01:20 AM
My money is stretching pretty thin right now. I should probably sell it. I've put 12 miles on it moving it's garaged location to a closer storage spot.

TalonTsi97
09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
how much you looking to get?

wheresmycar
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
$3600 if I decide to sell.

wheresmycar
09-20-2010, 08:46 AM
'92 festiva: BP 1.8l DOHC, garret t28, srt4 fmic, lawnmower battery, 1800lbs full interior 243whp @11psi untuned... the Fasty

BP? the miata engine?

BlkWhtTSI
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
if you come to a stop can you keep the car running by blipping the throttle? if so you have a vacuum leak. I got one in my car last month happened while i was on the highway in the rain, in traffic...sh!t SUCKED.

97TurboDSM
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
lol @ buying a car, driving it for 12miles then wanting to sell it. also lol @ thinking you'll get $3600 for it.

wheresmycar
09-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey, I bought it for that much, the test drive sold me. Maybe not for someone on TST for that price but craigslist.

Blipping the gas saved it 2 times. Died maybe 3 times out of 7 full stops with 2 saves.
It was stopped fine 2 times though like a normal car.

wheresmycar
09-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Thursday I will be at work, how is your schedule all day Friday?

97TurboDSM
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
yea you bought a car with known issues and you think people are going to pay what you paid? get outta here. just fix it.

Cardriverx
09-21-2010, 12:14 AM

Looks like it is a coolant re route. I am not an expert on the different routings tho, so I cannot tell which re route it is.