PDA

View Full Version : gunnars 04 sti

gunnnnnnar
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
picked it up with 21,000 miles and completely stock.

- first thing i bought was a turbo xs 50/50 recirculating blow off valve because i love hearing the sound.
- next i took off the wing and taped up the 17 holes.
- then i ordered a ebay grill and fake v limited front lip
- i hated how the holes and tape looked so i picked up a carbon fiber trunk for $350.
- popped in a k&n air filter
- then ordered a hks hi power catback for $518 from extreme psi and me and my buddy put that on.
- wanted to do something different with my wheels. found a kid to paint my rims for $140, and picked the most random color he had.

today i popped my hood and somehow my grill fell out soo right now im rocking no grill. next thing to do is sometype of downpipe and further down the road thinking bout a cobb accessport.

Teku18
09-12-2010, 12:04 AM
looks good. Like the color of the wheels. What are your plans for it?

morla
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
yeah the wheels look real good, nice pick up:thumbup:

ambitiousCK
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
go utec instead of cobb..plans?

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 12:14 AM
go utec instead of cobb..plans?

i heard of utec can you explain it to me in more depth? and as far as plans? i play everythingg on a day to day basis i change my mind all the time haha

morla
09-12-2010, 12:14 AM
listen to ck whenever he says anything sti related, he knows exactly what to do :)

ambitiousCK
09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
listen to ck whenever he says anything sti related, he knows exactly what to do :)

haha only because other people have steered me in the right direction, im not all knowing lol. But i heard from pretty many people (including AREA1320, they only deal with subies and there the people to talk to about modifying your car performance wise) that the OTS (off the shelf) maps on the cobb tuner are trash and that most of the blown motors that you see are cobb related. I bought a cobb tuner and upon hearing about it the subi nation freaked lol. just sold it today and i picked a Utec up acouple days after the cobb tuner. The Utec if missing 1-2 things from being a compete standalone ecu and is far more advanced when it comes to tuning. You still get LC, FFS, and so on but you cant clear CEL codes which is the only thing i didnt like, also you will need to take it somewhere to be tuned as it isnt plug and play. Another thing is cost, brand new the Utecs are ~1000$ and the cobb tuners are 600$, used though you can find a cobb tuner for ~$400 and a Utec for ~$200 shipped, I picked my Utec up for $200. My advice would to call, email, PM AREA1320 and talk to them about what you want. I can help but only to a certain extent.

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 12:41 AM
haha only because other people have steered me in the right direction, im not all knowing lol. But i heard from pretty many people (including AREA1320, they only deal with subies and their the people to talk to about modifying your car performance wise) that the OTS (off the shelf) maps on the cobb tuner are trash and that most of the blown motors that you see are cobb related. I bought a cobb tuner and upon hearing about it the subi nation freaked lol. just sold it today and i picked a Utec up acouple days after the cobb tuner. The Utec if missing 1-2 thing from being a compete standalone ecu and is far more advanced when it comes to tuning. You still get LC, FFS, and so on but you cant clear CEL codes. My advice would to call, email, PM AREA1320 and talk to them about what you want. I can help but only to a certain extent.

i did not research any of them really at all. i dont even know what LC FFS and clear CEL codes mean, soo looks like imma look into all that. im guessing LC is launch control?

ambitiousCK
09-12-2010, 12:44 AM
i did not research any of them really at all. i dont even know what LC FFS and clear CEL codes mean, soo looks like imma look into all that. im guessing LC is launch control?

lol research is your best tool, join NASIOC, iwsti.com and search. Dont start any new threads without searching or youll be flamed lol. CEL- Check Engine Light, LC- Launch Control, FFS- Flat Foot Shifting.

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 01:09 AM
lol research is your best tool, join NASIOC, iwsti.com and search. Dont start any new threads without searching or youll be flamed lol. CEL- Check Engine Light, LC- Launch Control, FFS- Flat Foot Shifting.

alrightt thanks budd

nissamax
09-12-2010, 02:03 AM
i wish mine had 21,000 :( looks good great idea going wingless. not a fan of the grill though

jesse096
09-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I swear I saw you at the elementary school near 413 on Hulmville Friday afternoon-ish... If it was you, car looks sweet man!

-Jesse

xarchiex
09-12-2010, 10:05 AM
yes everything ambitiosck said is true.utec is defintely the way to go.

04specsonnn
09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I swear I saw you at the elementary school near 413 on Hulmville Friday afternoon-ish... If it was you, car looks sweet man!

-Jesse

yeah u prob. did we were up there did u see a white evo or orange civic hatch or bunch of kids skateboarding?

anyway gunnar, your car is so mint. im still jealous.

ambitiousCK
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
yes everything ambitiosck said is true.utec is defintely the way to go.

Ambitious* and i'm glad i could help, if you have any questions about anything else don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 11:54 AM

-Jesse

haha yepp that was us, youll see us at every local elementary school or generally any big empty parking lot.
yeah u prob. did we were up there did u see a white evo or orange civic hatch or bunch of kids skateboarding?

haha thanks budd

Ambitious* and i'm glad i could help, if you have any questions about anything else don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

thanks man ill be messaging you in the future

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
i wish mine had 21,000 :( looks good great idea going wingless. not a fan of the grill though

grill fell out yesterday soo its not gonna be on anymore haha.

mx931
09-12-2010, 02:42 PM

hahahah alex this makes me laugh

but yea i dig the car ill be followin gl

jesse096
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I only drove past, my GF said that your car looked weird, I said it looked sweet haha.

-Jesse

renn
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
i would just tune open source instead of utec, and accessports are really a waste of money.

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I only drove past, my GF said that your car looked weird, I said it looked sweet haha.

-Jesse

thats everyones feelings towards it haha. half of em hate on it half like it. i like it, it's different.

wrxrex
09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
to the op, congrats on your pick-up. An opensource is definately the way to go. I have had many different tunes including utec and cobb on my 04. U also have to be careful as to who tunes it. A guy from ct(Sti Mikey) does the best work by far and charges very reasonable prices. If you are intrested pm me and I will give you his info.

jesse096
09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
thats everyones feelings towards it haha. half of em hate on it half like it. i like it, it's different.

It's different than your standard silver or black... I'd rock light blue rims on my dark blue truck any day of the week!

gunnnnnnar
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
It's different than your standard silver or black... I'd rock light blue rims on my dark blue truck any day of the week!

haha thanks mann

rodder
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I've had bad experiences with UTEC. Phantom misfire codes among other weird things. I ran opensource for a while as well, and now I'm on an AP v2.

On my old bugeye WRX I ran a stg2+ set up with an off the shelf AP map on a v1 AP and that car ran like a top for 140K miles and is still running strong as far as I know. My STi seemed to run the best on the opensource tune out of all the options I've tried so far but I'm still working on tweaking the AP map with my tuner so it could very well work even better once the tune is nailed down. Moral of the story is don't believe everything you hear...

and I'd be willing to put money down that the guy who said the AP is a waste of money has never used one in his life.

renn
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I've had bad experiences with UTEC. Phantom misfire codes among other weird things. I ran opensource for a while as well, and now I'm on an AP v2.

On my old bugeye WRX I ran a stg2+ set up with an off the shelf AP map on a v1 AP and that car ran like a top for 140K miles and is still running strong as far as I know. My STi seemed to run the best on the opensource tune out of all the options I've tried so far but I'm still working on tweaking the AP map with my tuner so it could very well work even better once the tune is nailed down. Moral of the story is don't believe everything you hear...

and I'd be willing to put money down that the guy who said the AP is a waste of money has never used one in his life.

lawl, i can give you my paypal if you want to send some money my way. i had an accessport v2 on my 20g/EWG/meth STi, didn't do me anything better than my opensource tunes and ended up deleting ALL my maps and ended up leaving my car with a fried ECU on precision tunings dyno. my car sat at the shop for two weeks while they tried to deny my claim but ended up sending me one under warranty. during that time i said **** it and tuned the car with open source, and sold the AP on iwsti. fyi my car has been tuned by john while he worked at precision, and then cleo. i haven't been down there in awhile since i sold that car like two years ago, but i'm sure rich from precision would remember that story if you ask him.

so the real moral of the story is don't make assumptions, especially when you're "willing to put down money"

:roll:

ambitiousCK
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I just tried to help the kid with info that was displayed to me by subaru specific tuning shops, everyone will have different opinions so id say just ask your tuner what hed prefer to tune with. I also never said that the AP is a waste of money, and i never used it because of the bad things i heard about shops that tuned with it, it was just my .02, if anyone else has more knowledge on the subject than feel free to correct my mistakes and inform him correctly, i also did say that i only learned from subaru specific tuning shops and that i wasnt a "guru". So ill leave with this and let you guys he'll this guy, take it easy and good luck.

rodder
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
lawl, i can give you my paypal if you want to send some money my way. i had an accessport v2 on my 20g/EWG/meth STi, didn't do me anything better than my opensource tunes and ended up deleting ALL my maps and ended up leaving my car with a fried ECU on precision tunings dyno. my car sat at the shop for two weeks while they tried to deny my claim but ended up sending me one under warranty. during that time i said **** it and tuned the car with open source, and sold the AP on iwsti. fyi my car has been tuned by john while he worked at precision, and then cleo. i haven't been down there in awhile since i sold that car like two years ago, but i'm sure rich from precision would remember that story if you ask him.

so the real moral of the story is don't make assumptions, especially when you're "willing to put down money"

:roll:

first off, unbunch your panties and take a deep breath...

You had a bad experience with an AP, I had a bad experience with UTEC. My "moral of the story" is still valid.

To say the AP is a waste of money and doesn't do anything better than an OS tune is incorrect. If that is really what you believe then I can only assume you didn't spend much time playing with the AP yourself. The v2 AP has some features you can't get without having a laptop next to you all the time, such as logging and viewing sensor data in real-time.

The only reason I posted in here was because this thread seemed to be biased and unfairly bashing the AP, while I've had great experiences with it and wanted to make sure the OP didn't choose his EM system based on the advice of a couple people who are in the minority of unsatisfied cobb customers.

If the AP was really a worthless piece of garbage it wouldn't be used by virtually every top subaru tuner in the country.

and if you're going to insist on calling something worthless you should at least offer the reasoning behind your opinion. Because you didn't, your post was basically worthless to the OP. You didn't have time to write a helpful post for him but had plenty of time to type up a lengthy response to a single sentence that questioned your experience with the product you were bashing. (people tend to do that when they hear biased, irrational claims about something without being offered any explanation or reasoning for them) :roll:

gunnnnnnar
09-13-2010, 10:04 PM
next im thinking about going for a downpipe, any suggestions??

rodder
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I vote cobb, unless you plan on going with an ewg.

ambitiousCK
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I vote cobb, unless you plan on going with an ewg.

+1....thats what im running

is300bklyn
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
another sick ride on board

renn
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
first off, unbunch your panties and take a deep breath...

You had a bad experience with an AP, I had a bad experience with UTEC. My "moral of the story" is still valid.

To say the AP is a waste of money and doesn't do anything better than an OS tune is incorrect. If that is really what you believe then I can only assume you didn't spend much time playing with the AP yourself. The v2 AP has some features you can't get without having a laptop next to you all the time, such as logging and viewing sensor data in real-time.

The only reason I posted in here was because this thread seemed to be biased and unfairly bashing the AP, while I've had great experiences with it and wanted to make sure the OP didn't choose his EM system based on the advice of a couple people who are in the minority of unsatisfied cobb customers.

If the AP was really a worthless piece of garbage it wouldn't be used by virtually every top subaru tuner in the country.

and if you're going to insist on calling something worthless you should at least offer the reasoning behind your opinion. Because you didn't, your post was basically worthless to the OP. You didn't have time to write a helpful post for him but had plenty of time to type up a lengthy response to a single sentence that questioned your experience with the product you were bashing. (people tend to do that when they hear biased, irrational claims about something without being offered any explanation or reasoning for them) :roll:

i have logged with both the AP and a tactrix cable on my os tune.

don't forget that shops make money on the accessports they sell. i will say that with an accessport it's easier to switch maps but unless you plan to run different maps frequently, it's not worth the money IMHO. the other benefit would the be that they have off the shelf maps on their website, so if you are stage II you could just buy an ap and go with an ots tune, and save yourself the trouble of a tune.

so you're right, they are not worthless, but IMHO more trouble than they're worth and if you are willing to spend the little bit of extra time you can do everything an accessport can with a laptop and a tactrix cable.

renn
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
next im thinking about going for a downpipe, any suggestions??

if you are going with an EWG it doesn't really matter but if not go with a bellmouth DP like cobb's.

xarchiex
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
i have a helix uncatted bellmouth downpipe and its great recommend that but as everyone else said the cobb is also a good chioce.

rodder
09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
yeah cobb hard parts are expensive, but usually worth the price - all their parts have solid engineering and development behind them, hence the higher price tag. On the other hand, if you're looking to save some money helix does make some pretty decent stuff.

and as was posted previously, if you're sticking with a stock location turbo and an integral wastegate the bellmouth design seems to be the best for flow.

i have logged with both the AP and a tactrix cable on my os tune.

don't forget that shops make money on the accessports they sell. i will say that with an accessport it's easier to switch maps but unless you plan to run different maps frequently, it's not worth the money IMHO. the other benefit would the be that they have off the shelf maps on their website, so if you are stage II you could just buy an ap and go with an ots tune, and save yourself the trouble of a tune.

so you're right, they are not worthless, but IMHO more trouble than they're worth and if you are willing to spend the little bit of extra time you can do everything an accessport can with a laptop and a tactrix cable.

Fair enough. Thanks, that was a much more helpful post than the last two. :) The thing I like the most about having the AP is the ability to read live data and log it without needing a laptop in the car (I don't own one). Some of the other features are nice to have as well, such as the mpg gauge and the "gtech-like" features for 0-60 and such. Not anything I couldn't live without, but it does have some useful features besides just storing and reflashing maps.

gunnnnnnar
09-21-2010, 08:57 PM
soo dont got money for a downpipe right now soo im thinking bout getting some red mudflaps and red hella horns

ambitiousCK
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
soo dont got money for a downpipe right now soo im thinking bout getting some red mudflaps and red hella horns

why red? to be different? should look good and loud with the hellas lol

gunnnnnnar
09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
why red? to be different? should look good and loud with the hellas lol

when you see my car sunday youll see that my goal of my car is to be different haha.

we all learn from mistakes :roll:the flaps dont flow with the car at all im not sure what i was thinking, and the horns arent wired correctly hahah

ambitiousCK
09-30-2010, 10:32 PM
when you see my car sunday youll see that my goal of my car is to be different haha.

we all learn from mistakes :roll:the flaps dont flow with the car at all im not sure what i was thinking, and the horns arent wired correctly hahah

lol well to each their own, and i hope everything works out for you. Whats next on the mod list? Also if you want me to bring my camera and get some shots of your car i will.

gunnnnnnar
09-30-2010, 10:46 PM
lol well to each their own, and i hope everything works out for you. Whats next on the mod list? Also if you want me to bring my camera and get some shots of your car i will.

prolly a divorced invidia downpipe and a opensource reflash tune from krazyhouse

ambitiousCK
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
prolly a divorced invidia downpipe and a opensource reflash tune from krazyhouse

sounds good

moemoe
10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
im interested lololol

ambitiousCK
10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Some pics...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/smlhops21/stiwedding008.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/smlhops21/stiwedding005.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/smlhops21/stiwedding007.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/smlhops21/stiwedding003.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/smlhops21/stiwedding009.jpg

=)

02vwgolf
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
good looking pictures ambitiousCK your pictures are getting sicker and sicker

jesse096
10-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I saw you yesterday at the Wendys near my work on Business rt.1, car looks even better when I'm not doing 60 MPH past it lol.

-Jesse

ambitiousCK
10-12-2010, 07:13 AM
good looking pictures ambitiousCK your pictures are getting sicker and sicker

thanks man i appreciate the kind words.