PDA

View Full Version : the debate D:

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 03:10 AM
new here so not alot of people may know me. i own a 95 eclipse gsx (almost a year), im 18 and its my first car, and i simply love it. iv been thinking for a long time about selling that car. i dont hate it and there is no major problems with the car. its just iv been looking down the road and the problems i might have, even though i pamper it i know something is going to go. i also know you need a bank to support them and working at shoprite dosent help. iv been talking with some close friends about this.
i might sell my GSX and buy a 03 350z. (or a evo) and no my mom or dad arent going to buy it. im going to full pay it monthly for about a year. just want to get some ideas if this is a bad or somewhat good idea.

this is the 350z im looking at.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=47844173&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26alMdId%3D20419%26mkId%3D20 077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20419%26rd%3D75%26crSrtF lds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D07430%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26alMkId%3D20 077%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

TROLL
08-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Um, if you can afford a Z or Evo then you won't have any problem being able to afford anything that might happen to your GSX... doesn't sound like thats really the reason you'd be making the change.
I will say though, since you're young and inferred not having a great paying job, that you should NOT take on a big car payment. Much better to save a good amount of your cash for down the road and not spend it on a car.
Your GSX is plenty fun I'm sure so you're in a pretty good place right now, I'd say keep that, save your money, and maybe down the road when you can easily afford it then think about a newer more expensive car.

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Um, if you can afford a Z or Evo then you won't have any problem being able to afford anything that might happen to your GSX... doesn't sound like thats really the reason you'd be making the change.
I will say though, since you're young and inferred not having a great paying job, that you should NOT take on a big car payment. Much better to save a good amount of your cash for down the road and not spend it on a car.
Your GSX is plenty fun I'm sure so you're in a pretty good place right now, I'd say keep that, save your money, and maybe down the road when you can easily afford it then think about a newer more expensive car.also the reason im thinking of selling it is because of how easy it is to mod. i know im going to slap a bigger turbo with supporting mods and do something stupid. also this is my only car and i DD it alot. with the 350z the only real power is to get a 5k turbo with supporting mods which i dont see in the near future. so really it holds me back while having enough power to please me.

*edit*
the monthly payment is really nothing. only like 110 a month and i make that in a week. with this i can save for something else in the future. really wish i can keep both.

fitftw
08-26-2010, 03:39 AM
you're trying to live way beyond your age.

Chill out. No 18 year old kid needs a 350Z.

Keep the GSX and be happy you have a nice car, and if you can't help but mod it, then deal with your habit like we do, or buy a Geo Metro.

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 03:44 AM
you're trying to live way beyond your age.

Keep the GSX and be happy you have a nice car, and if you can't help but mod it, then deal with your habit like we do, or buy a Geo Metro.its not that i cant handle it, its just i know im going to do it. anyway im still going to look at it. i might co-buy it with my dad because we do need a other car.

TROLL
08-26-2010, 04:14 AM
You posted a thread asking for opinions but you're arguing against the responses now... and you're also making new reasons why you don't want to keep the GSX (first it was going to break and you couldn't afford to fix it, now its just that you'll want to mod it).
Just trying to get you to take a step back and look at the big picture in an unbiased way because you're obviously really biased right now about things.

ambitiousCK
08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
You also have to remember insurance, just because you can afford the car doesnt mean you can afford to maintain and insure it.

OverBoostedEvo
08-26-2010, 07:38 AM
You should keep the gsx. No need for the z or an evo cause u will endup modding them as well and it will cost more in both parts and when something breaks. I told myself n everyone i was keeping my evo stock n yea...10k now into it. Your gonna mod whatever you get if its a hobby or passion.

Look at it this way u blow the motor in the gsx u can have another in for less then a grand. Blow one in the z or evo ull be dropping a few more g's To replace it...

By makin a little over 100 a week you need to own a car in that budget range of repairing and maintance

Thats just my 2 cents...

Big_Jim
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I will say though, since you're young and inferred not having a great paying job, that you should NOT take on a big car payment.

You may think you know but you have no idea.....

Friend of mine has been working at Shop-rite since she was 15. now 25. Shes fully vested in the union, and making 25/hr part time, with full benefits, paid for by the union, being a cashier.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 09:07 AM
monthly payment on what? 110 a month isnt going to buy you an evo/350z LMFAO.. hell you couldnt buy my GTI for that.

Friend of mine has been working at Shop-rite since she was 15. now 25. Shes fully vested in the union, and making 25/hr part time, with full benefits, paid for by the union, being a cashier.

wtf ? but this kid is 18 and doubt he makes 25/hr; If anything by your example, not yet.

Big_Jim
08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
wtf ? but this kid is 18 and doubt he makes 25/hr; If anything by your example, not yet.

wtf is right. she makes double on sundays too. I was pissed about that.

but yeah, if he's 10, bagging groceries, and has a gsx, stick with it kid. do you have a payment now on the car?

GeforceXtreme
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Most kids make the mistake and buy too nice of car to start out with. So they either crash it or it gets beat to hell during years of school and college driving. Then when its all said and done, they have a car loaded up with miles, beat to heck and still possibly paying off a car payment + school loans. I have friends and I know people that are dealing with this and with the way the economy is.. they are broke as ****.

I'm so glad I rocked beater cars throughout school and now have money saved away to buy my first house soon which I am excited about.

I just don't understand how some younger kids can get into cars that are 30, 40, 50K+ and do they ever expect to move out from there parents home? I don't know how they do it.. drugs?

OverBoostedEvo
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Not to be a dick but there is a union for cashiers??? Since when, i would love to see proof of a cashier at any retail makin 25 an hr... If this is true why arent there people lining up to become one, specially with the economy how it is...

GeforceXtreme
08-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Not to be a dick but there is a union for cashiers??? Since when, i would love to see proof of a cashier at any retail makin 25 an hr... If this is true why arent there people lining up to become one, specially with the economy how it is...

25/hr jeez lucky girl.

Know guys that are managers of companies making less then that an hour due to this economy.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
unions are cancer.

Scapegoat
08-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Just trying to get you to take a step back and look at the big picture in an unbiased way because you're obviously really biased right now about things.

you're talking to an 18 y/o. it's wasted breath, you should know that by now especially after having ran a car forum for years ;)

ambitiousCK
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Shouldnt this be under a different section and not the member journals?

JERRYM1997
08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

HAHAHA specvince is 18 and his is vortech supercharged. Age dont mean anything. If you wanna buy it then buy it cause in the long run its your money and you can do what you want with it. I would get the Evo though cause its alot more practical.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
HAHAHA specvince is 18 and his is vortech supercharged. Age dont mean anything. If you wanna buy it then buy it cause in the long run its your money and you can do what you want with it. I would get the Evo though cause its alot more practical.

LOL @ that kid.

JERRYM1997
08-26-2010, 10:59 AM
LOL @ that kid.

At me or vince?

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
vince

Big_Jim
08-26-2010, 11:05 AM

UFCW.

United Food & Commercial Workers Union. founded in 1937.

Try bringing union papers into a non union retail shop. you'll be shown the door in no time.

(sorry for going off topic, just some people open their mouth and **** rolls out)

Scapegoat
08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
that is nonsense... no one should get paid $25/hr to be a cashier

EklipzGSXkid
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Maybe I can give some insight here aswell. Please don't take ANY of this the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude, Just trying to give you both sides of the story when considering a newer expensive car.

BEFORE you make the purchase of a car that you need a loan for, PLEASE remember that you: Don't make much (You said this), You can get fired/layed off at any time, What about un-expected life changes and getting behind on the payments? You'll then ruin your credit, Lose even more money, And ruin your future.

A DSM is NOT unreliable. They are only unreliable because of young teenage kids who own them, And try to mod them from lowes/home-depot type hardware stores with rigged parts and pieces. The car is just as reliable if not more reliable, Then the other ''normal'' cars on the road. It's all how the car has been treated throughout it's long life.

An sti, evo, ETC will be around $500 a month + insurance, Depending on your loan ($25k+ loan), And a 350z will be around $300-400 a month plus insurance depending on the loan ( $15-20k loan). I would highly suggest calling your insurance company and getting quotes. When i first purchased my 06' sti in late 07, I was 22. They wanted $600 a month insurance....... I had to call everywhere to get lower insurance and on my own plan. If you purchase the car YOURSELF, That means YOU need your own insurance policy. At only 18years old, Expect it to be high, Very high.

Forget about driving a 350z in the winter. They are pointless. I just sold one. They are nice cars, But they are two seaters. You can't take family/friends anywhere other then one person. If there is an emergency, Hopefully there isn't more then one person going with you. If you need to go grocery shopping and get an ''order'', Goodluck fitting it in the back. I had to buy a jeep just for this reason so we had to park the z when we went food shopping, And take the jeep. They are though, Nice cars to drive. They are not fast, (depending what you think is fast).

Your gsx on the other hand. It's AWD, It's turbo. It doesn't matter how easy it is to mod any car. Weather you have a GSX, Or a high dollar car that is super expensive to mod, It only means that you will be spending a ton more down the road when you decide to mod. I believe if you are into modding a car, You're going to mod ANY car you get, No matter the price. That's just an excuse to get a car, Saying '' it's expensive so I won't mod it''. No, That means you'll have 100k+ in a car rather then 5-10k. I've been down this road for the past 10 years straight, So I understand completly how it goes.

Do you live at home with your parents? If so, Do you want to move out any time soon? You won't be able to on a minimum wage job, WHILE paying for an expensive car note and full coverage insurance. Do your parents buy the food you eat, clothes you wear, Possibly college you go to? If so, Your 18 and you should try to help out a bit. Your an adult. If you can't do this or afford this, You should not take on a car payment/full coverage with your current living/job situation. Bills, Have any? If so, Pay them off before getting more, Like a car payment. You don't want to go over your means of living, Just to have something ''nice''.

If you want the car, And are sure you can afford it even in the ''what-if'' scenarios' , Then I would get one. If you can't see yourself being able to keep up with the car while looking for a new job with no income in a ''what if'' scenario, Then I highly suggest you do not get a newer expensive car.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
my friends/family wont let me get rid of my car since i would do a similar thing lol.

OBEEWON
08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I will never have a car payment as long as I live.

EklipzGSXkid
08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
That's a very good way of thinking. I think the same way about most aswell. If you can't pay with cash, You do not need to own what ever it is your thinking about ''buying''.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
:roll:

EklipzGSXkid
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
You don't agree? This is why the world is in debt. Because people get loans, And cannot pay them back down the road. If you are 100 percent certain you can afford it no matter what, Or know you have the money and can pay the loan off at any time if you are just trying to build credit , Then so be it. If you are getting a loan an unsure down the road if you can pay it back, Its a very bad idea

The same thing goes for credit cards. People think it's ''free'' money, then realize they hafto pay it back. Get behind, ruin their credit, ruin their life, ruin the world.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
No i agree, just some people can't always do that. At the time it was much easier for me to put me self in what I would call an ok amount of debt so I can get a car that was NEEDED at the time. I dont think this is free money, rather money I will make and is already gone; I always make payments, early even. I wish I could buy a car outright but honestly I couldnt at the time, and like I said the car was NEEDED.

Thing is loans create money.. well not for me :P

EklipzGSXkid
08-26-2010, 12:18 PM
What I was trying to say was exactly what you said. I meant that if someone knows they can afford to make the loan payment, Then get the loan. If you aren't sure, It's probably better that the loan is not taken. I always hear about people losing their jobs or having peronal problems and they can't pay their bills/loan (What I meant).

OBEEWON
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
It's possible if you live within your means, but who wants to do that.

Im trying to save and buy a house cash. Obv it wont be a big house. But its possible.

Elliott18t
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
yeah, loans are scary because of that reason. Like you said, he should keep the GSX, what is wrong with it? lol

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Maybe I can give some insight here aswell. Please don't take ANY of this the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude, Just trying to give you both sides of the story when considering a newer expensive car.

BEFORE you make the purchase of a car that you need a loan for, PLEASE remember that you: Don't make much (You said this), You can get fired/layed off at any time, What about un-expected life changes and getting behind on the payments? You'll then ruin your credit, Lose even more money, And ruin your future.

A DSM is NOT unreliable. They are only unreliable because of young teenage kids who own them, And try to mod them from lowes/home-depot type hardware stores with rigged parts and pieces. The car is just as reliable if not more reliable, Then the other ''normal'' cars on the road. It's all how the car has been treated throughout it's long life.

An sti, evo, ETC will be around $500 a month + insurance, Depending on your loan ($25k+ loan), And a 350z will be around $300-400 a month plus insurance depending on the loan ( $15-20k loan). I would highly suggest calling your insurance company and getting quotes. When i first purchased my 06' sti in late 07, I was 22. They wanted $600 a month insurance....... I had to call everywhere to get lower insurance and on my own plan. If you purchase the car YOURSELF, That means YOU need your own insurance policy. At only 18years old, Expect it to be high, Very high.

Forget about driving a 350z in the winter. They are pointless. I just sold one. They are nice cars, But they are two seaters. You can't take family/friends anywhere other then one person. If there is an emergency, Hopefully there isn't more then one person going with you. If you need to go grocery shopping and get an ''order'', Goodluck fitting it in the back. I had to buy a jeep just for this reason so we had to park the z when we went food shopping, And take the jeep. They are though, Nice cars to drive. They are not fast, (depending what you think is fast).

Your gsx on the other hand. It's AWD, It's turbo. It doesn't matter how easy it is to mod any car. Weather you have a GSX, Or a high dollar car that is super expensive to mod, It only means that you will be spending a ton more down the road when you decide to mod. I believe if you are into modding a car, You're going to mod ANY car you get, No matter the price. That's just an excuse to get a car, Saying '' it's expensive so I won't mod it''. No, That means you'll have 100k+ in a car rather then 5-10k. I've been down this road for the past 10 years straight, So I understand completly how it goes.

Do you live at home with your parents? If so, Do you want to move out any time soon? You won't be able to on a minimum wage job, WHILE paying for an expensive car note and full coverage insurance. Do your parents buy the food you eat, clothes you wear, Possibly college you go to? If so, Your 18 and you should try to help out a bit. Your an adult. If you can't do this or afford this, You should not take on a car payment/full coverage with your current living/job situation. Bills, Have any? If so, Pay them off before getting more, Like a car payment. You don't want to go over your means of living, Just to have something ''nice''.

If you want the car, And are sure you can afford it even in the ''what-if'' scenarios' , Then I would get one. If you can't see yourself being able to keep up with the car while looking for a new job with no income in a ''what if'' scenario, Then I highly suggest you do not get a newer expensive car.well after reading this ima keep my car. but im not one of those teens that buy walmart crap and slap it on my car. i hardly push my car and i do monthly maint on it. its just 3rd gear is grinding when i push it in. and if im going to have to rebuild my trans im better off getting a newer car. after what my friend went through with rebuilding his trans on his dsm, im just not going to do it. also i think the gears in the diff are grinding because at low speeds you can hear sort of a grinding noise in the rear. also my parents only pay my insurance :). only 612 every 6 months. reminds me i gata buy cloths for school soon ._.

also this is just to clear things up with my job. i get 8 (+1.50 sunday) a hour and i work around 20 hours a week with school starting. so i make well over 110 a week. with the union its very hard for them to fire me plus they are in need of people so i dont see me getting fired in the near future. also i would put a down payment of $6,500~$7,000 so with 8% sales tax i would pay close to 110 a month. also i looked at the carfax for the car and its been on like 3~4 dealer auctions.

*edit* if i remove my ac would i still have heat? i ac dosent work plus i hate ac in the summer. would like to shorten my belts.

tranceporter
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
first off, how do you plan on getting this loan? how did you figure the $110 a month payment? if you're relying on the cars.com or autotrader.com calculator then you're in for a rude awakening.

do you have a co-signer? even if you have stellar credit for 18, in this economy, loaners are very picky choosy on who they're giving money to. let's say some how, you manage to get a loan by yourself, you're apr is going to be REDONKULOUS and you'll be paying more in interest than on principle.

so you're $110 dollar payment for idk how many years you were looking for will quickly turn into $500+ a month PLUS insurance.

now let's say your parents are going to "help" you with your insurance by having you under their policy. unless one of them co-signs with you, you can't take advantage of the rates they get as adults with established credit, etc etc so you'll be paying an 18 year old's premium.

ALSO, when you finance a car, you have to have full coverage so if in the event something happens, they pay off the car to the entity that loaned you the money.

by the time you're said and done, you're $110 is looking like $900 a month.

gsx is already a great car to have with a plentiful marketplace of quality and cheap parts.

if you still feel the need to go through with it, go to a dealership and go through the experience first hand. after they deny you credit and you experience how snide the car sales world is, you'll take a step back.

good luck with whatever you choose to do

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
first off, how do you plan on getting this loan? how did you figure the $110 a month payment? if you're relying on the cars.com or autotrader.com calculator then you're in for a rude awakening.

do you have a co-signer? even if you have stellar credit for 18, in this economy, loaners are very picky choosy on who they're giving money to. let's say some how, you manage to get a loan by yourself, you're apr is going to be REDONKULOUS and you'll be paying more in interest than on principle.

so you're $110 dollar payment for idk how many years you were looking for will quickly turn into $500+ a month PLUS insurance.

now let's say your parents are going to "help" you with your insurance by having you under their policy. unless one of them co-signs with you, you can't take advantage of the rates they get as adults with established credit, etc etc so you'll be paying an 18 year old's premium.

ALSO, when you finance a car, you have to have full coverage so if in the event something happens, they pay off the car to the entity that loaned you the money.

by the time you're said and done, you're $110 is looking like $900 a month.

gsx is already a great car to have with a plentiful marketplace of quality and cheap parts.

if you still feel the need to go through with it, go to a dealership and go through the experience first hand. after they deny you credit and you experience how snide the car sales world is, you'll take a step back.

good luck with whatever you choose to doi looked at the car this morning and talked to the dealer. test drove it and everything. i talked the guy to lower the price to $9,000. very easy to lower the price on cars at these huge dealer lots. even though i loved test driving the Z and how well it handles, once i get my new suspension for my GSX prob will handle the same. i also agree if you cant buy it in cash its not worth it. and i follow after seeing my two cousins. one only has a debet card, other has a credit card. guess what one is in debt.

*off topic* going to cut this story short. took my car to the drag strip and went on the track. when i start to reach around 80+ MPH my stearing wheel shakes like crazy. and when i brake the car starts to move left to right and so on. could this be due to my 15 year old suspension? or my wheel bearing/tie-rod's? havent been able to check for any wheel play yet.

ambitiousCK
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I "bought" my sti at 19k over 5 years....thats $250/month+$330/month in insurance. Insurance doesnt really go down till your ?25? so expect those payments for many years to come. And i have great credit for being 20, but i also make a good amount of money for still being in college so im able to balance everything i want and pay for everything i need. Before going into this the real question should be to yourself and if you can do it. Any of us can tell you what you should and shouldnt do but you and only you know all your expenses, wants, needs, ect. So take a deep breath and think of the next 5 years of your life and make sure that you can put, at a minimum, ~600$ a month into a car. That is a VERY low #.....good luck

EklipzGSXkid
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
PS: If your trans is going, You don't need to rebuild it. I sell mint conditon 5spd awd trans for $600, Or $1,000 installed.

WolfsFang
08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
PS: If your trans is going, You don't need to rebuild it. I sell mint conditon 5spd awd trans for $600, Or $1,000 installed.going to get it looked at. if they say i need it fixed or anything ill let you know.

tranceporter
08-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm on my phone or I'd link you, eklipz made a thread recently of all the dsm's he's built. Take a peek, you'll love your car even more after

Got Insulin?
08-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Rob is good people. If you wanted to get your trans rebuilt, DogBox racing in NJ is what's up. $900 and you're out the door with a freshie and a receipt.