PDA

View Full Version : Welded Diff

Tru2Blu
02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
:help: :help: :help:
Topic one:
Good? Bad? Any brand suggestions for LSD? Going on a 92 240sx.
And what do you guys think about the K-Sport coilovers vs. the Megan coilovers. Advice is highly appreciated.

Topic two:
auto to manual swap. Can anyone do this? and how much?

Thats all for now, thanks for your elp and advice.

2point4DSM
02-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Welded diffs suck for daily drivers. Not recommended unless you have a spare car to drive around everytime you end up busting up some axles.

A nice LSD is the way to go.

moorefire
02-15-2006, 10:36 AM
:help: :help: :help:
Topic one:
Good? Bad? Any brand suggestions for LSD? Going on a 92 240sx.
And what do you guys think about the K-Sport coilovers vs. the Megan coilovers. Advice is highly appreciated.

Topic two:
auto to manual swap. Can anyone do this? and how much?

Thats all for now, thanks for your elp and advice.

Welded diffs are fine in 240s. This isn't a fragile tranverse awd layout. The nissan axles are strong enought to handle my ATS diff locking way harder than any welded diff would. If you see any failures from a welded diff, it will be from crap welds cracking and fragging and destroying the innards of your pumpkin. But who cares, people give away r200 open diffs.

The only problem with welded diffs is they'll induce understeer on high speed entries but if you're using a welded diff I doubt you're gonna need to worry about that just yet.

as far as diffs go:

vlsd(complete waste of money)<welded open diff< Kazz, Nismo Basic, Tomei<ATS, OS Giken, Nismo Pro

I dunno crap about the budget coilovers, just remember, you get what u pay for

I would talk to Matt at import intelligence for a tranny swap:
www.importintelligence.com

Tru2Blu
02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
^^^ thanks alot, i spoke it importintelligence, as soon as i get some money im there for the swap.

the mike
02-16-2006, 10:41 PM
I am running a welded diff in my 240. Aside from the aforementioned understeer, and a serious chatter when parking, I have had no problems.
I wouldn't worry about breaking axles. As was mentioned above, the Nissan axles can take quite a beating. And even if they do break, you are only replacing parts of them.

moorefire
02-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I am running a welded diff in my 240. Aside from the aforementioned understeer, and a serious chatter when parking, I have had no problems.
I wouldn't worry about breaking axles. As was mentioned above, the Nissan axles can take quite a beating. And even if they do break, you are only replacing parts of them.

Yea, you'll snap your tranny outshaft shaft long before you snap axles. Thats the weak point of the s chassis drivetrain (besides the mission itself), and you only have to worry about snapping that if you're running a hard locking clutch pack diff, positive camber, and drag radials.

also I forgot, if you're not gonna drift, try and find a s15 helical diff. They dont make noise like the clutch and welded units and you can find them cheap cus they're horrible for drifting

Tru2Blu
02-17-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks for the advice fellas.