PDA

View Full Version : MK4 Jetta eats oil like crazy...Oil out there that burns less?

STiGuy06
08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Is there an oil that burns less for our cars? I have the issue where i burn a QT. or a little more every 1,500mi.....Its because of those upside down piston rings that good ol' VW did wrong...I'm just looking to see if there's an oil out there that burns less. Let me know. Thanks guys.

OutToWinPAHC
08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Resore compression / clogger in a can

STiGuy06
08-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Resore compression / clogger in a can

Off the Web Site:

Restore Engine Restorer is not to be used in wet-clutch motors where the engine oil lubes the clutch plates. Apparently the CDL’s lead content would seal the friction plates of the clutch and make them slippery, causing the clutch to slip. Can’t be having that!

do vw's have that?

cbirgl
08-26-2010, 02:36 AM
I've seen synthetic oil help with the issue, but obviously replacing the rings would be best. Is it the 2.0 motor? It isn't very hard and shouldn't be too expensive...

VW's don't use engine oil in the clutch, that is more for setups like on a motorcycle. I don't recommend using those types of things as they are usually just bandaids and not a proper fix.

evomike
08-26-2010, 02:47 AM
are you using the correct type of oil if not itll sludge in that car

STiGuy06
08-26-2010, 06:11 AM
yes im using the oil they recommend in the manual.

No way in hell i'm replacing the rings, can't afford that. VW f'd up and i shouldn't have to even think about doing that. They won't take responsibility for it either which is ridiculous, as i've been reading things online about that. I will probably start using that Restore every oil change that should help.

cbirgl
08-26-2010, 10:05 AM
I've done a couple of those engines under the bulletin, but its unfortunate you are out of warranty so they aren't going to do much. It should be under $1000 to get that done, though.

STiGuy06
08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
That's $1 grand more that i don't want to spend on this thing. I am a diehard VW guy, but this car has really got on my nerves. I probably won't buy another one. My Bug on the other hand is a tank...things impossible to break.

cbirgl
08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Yea sorry to hear you've had bad luck with it. Did you buy it new? Most of the problem cars were taken care of under warranty, but there are a lot of people that never take their cars into the dealership (even under warranty) which results in certain issues slipping through on some cars. I've had good luck with most of the newer VW's I've had, and only a few customers really have major problems with them. Aircooled bugs are fun too though and if built right can last quite a while.

STiGuy06
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Yea sorry to hear you've had bad luck with it. Did you buy it new? Most of the problem cars were taken care of under warranty, but there are a lot of people that never take their cars into the dealership (even under warranty) which results in certain issues slipping through on some cars. I've had good luck with most of the newer VW's I've had, and only a few customers really have major problems with them. Aircooled bugs are fun too though and if built right can last quite a while.

No off some lady who's husband was a mechanic, go figure. It had like 45k on it when i bought it for $7k in 07. Since then, i had to do new wheel bearings, front hubs and spindles, #4 coil blew, o2 Censor blew, and my hvac control lights go on sometimes and sometimes they don't. My interior peels. I had to plasti-dip most of the trim inside. Also had to take it for a sunroof recall.

It's a joke, my neighbors 04 Jetta is getting loaded up to go to the junk yard too. His doesn't even get power, the electrical system fried.

Yeah we rebuilt the Bug 5 years ago. It's awesome. I have an all chrome 1915cc in it.

STiGuy06
09-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok, just picked up some Pennzoil 10w40 and that Restore stuff w/ a fram filter. Let's hope it starts to consume less! I can monitor it easily because i know it was eating a little over 1.5 quarts every 1,500 miles.