PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic braking problem

ihavebettersound
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
My friends been having this problem with her car since she got it, which is an 04 civic EX. Shes takin it back to the dealer twice and it still hasnt been fixed. Let me try to explain:

We're driving down the road going 35, and there's a stop sign ahead. I apply the brake, keeping the same pressure on the brake to slow down. I'm not stomping on the brake or anything. Then, while my foot is gently on the brake, the car jerks forward as if I had pushed the brake pedal down harder, yet I didn't, AND the brake pedal drops closer to the floor on its own. Not all the way, just a bit. Checked the brake fluid and thats fine. Any ideas?

StealthTC
02-07-2006, 12:27 PM
try bleeding the system, if not i know my buddys 02 civic, had some type of caliper pin that seized up, and caused the same type of problem

ihavebettersound
02-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm gonna right down all the ideas people give me and give it to the dealership and tell them to check them all!!

the mike
02-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Could be a valve in the master cylinder. I doubt an 04 would have a sticking caliper already.
It sounds like the pressure is being diverted to another chamber in a sudden "pop", thus lowering the pedal and forcing pressure to rise causing the car to lunge.

07BlackSS
02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
My parents both have 04 sedan civic's and they both have that same problem. I didn't know if it's really a problem though, cause I drove the one for awhile and just got used to it. I figured since both of them did it, it was normal.

ihavebettersound
02-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Theres no way thats normal!! Very annoying, and could be very dangerous if i was turining hard or on a slippery surface and it happened.

07BlackSS
02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Theres no way thats normal!! Very annoying, and could be very dangerous if i was turining hard or on a slippery surface and it happened.

Well it was my first car that I drove around with (my mom's) and everyone once in awhile I drove my dad's around. Anyway, I got so used to it, I would be able to brake at lights and sign no problem with it. I am actually going to go for a test drive in it right now to make sure everything is fine or if it's still going on.

2point4DSM
02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Is this an auto? Does it have ABS?

My Pilot does some crazy stuff too but I'm pretty sure it's the tranny computer shifting it out of gear right before the rpms get too low.

It is also kind of annoying when I'm going down hill and coasting most of the way and then apply a little bit of gas.

It has something to do with grade logic.

CHR!S
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
if multiple people on here who have driven 04 civics have exeperienced this, it could be a recall or hidden recall. ill look into it tomorro at work

07BlackSS
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
if multiple people on here who have driven 04 civics have exeperienced this, it could be a recall or hidden recall. ill look into it tomorro at work

Cool sounds good. I never really thought of that.

Wil, thats is what I thought. I just went out for a ride and it seems like it tend sto do it when it shifts in the auto tranny...just an observation.

ihavebettersound
02-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Very good idea, thank you! It is an Automaitc. It doesnt seem to be downshifting, as the RPMs dont rise or fall, unless somehow it can shift without the RPMs moving :confused:

07BlackSS
02-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Very good idea, thank you! It is an Automaitc. It doesnt seem to be downshifting, as the RPMs dont rise or fall, unless somehow it can shift without the RPMs moving :confused:

It's like that for me at least. My car seems to be losing RPMs and then seems to shift and "bounce" near 1,000 RPMs. Thats when it seems to have the brake pedal be pushed in more. Definately do some research and see if this might be a recall.

2point4DSM
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
In my opinion Honda needs to work on their tranny computer a little bit more but there in nothing wrong with the car.

Essentially, the car stays in gear while your rolling to a stop sign to help conserve gas.

Why?

Because while the car is decelerating the tranny is spinning the motor. Therefore the ecu can shut off the injectors. If the tranny were to disengage the ecu would have to fire the injectors to keep the motor revving. The problem comes when the car has slowed down enough that the rpms start to approach "idle rpms," or the rpms required to keep the motor revving smoothly. This is when the tranny disengages and the motor starts using fuel again to keep it revving on its own. Vacuum at the motor is now a lot less than when the tranny was engaged and your pedal falls a little because of it and at the same time your brake-assist reacts to the change.

07BlackSS
02-08-2006, 11:25 AM
In my opinion Honda needs to work on their tranny computer a little bit more but there in nothing wrong with the car.

Essentially, the car stays in gear while your rolling to a stop sign to help conserve gas.

Why?

Because while the car is decelerating the tranny is spinning the motor. Therefore the ecu can shut off the injectors. If the tranny were to disengage the ecu would have to fire the injectors to keep the motor revving. The problem comes when the car has slowed down enough that the rpms start to approach "idle rpms," or the rpms required to keep the motor revving smoothly. This is when the tranny disengages and the motor starts using fuel again to keep it revving on its own. Vacuum at the motor is now a lot less than when the tranny was engaged and your pedal falls a little because of it at the same time your brakes react to the change.

Nice job Wil. Thanks for the explanation! :thumbup:

igo4bmx
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM

Why?

Because while the car is decelerating the tranny is spinning the motor. Therefore the ecu can shut off the injectors. If the tranny were to disengage the ecu would have to fire the injectors to keep the motor revving. The problem comes when the car has slowed down enough that the rpms start to approach "idle rpms," or the rpms required to keep the motor revving smoothly. This is when the tranny disengages and the motor starts using fuel again to keep it revving on its own. Vacuum at the motor is now a lot less than when the tranny was engaged and your pedal falls a little because of it and at the same time your brake-assist reacts to the change.

that is exactly what i thought but didn't want to explain.

CHR!S
02-10-2006, 12:28 AM
that is exactly what i thought but didn't want to explain.

damn lazy honda drivers :)