PDA

View Full Version : Tire Width on 2.3 Mustang

Higu
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
What is the largest width I can fit onto the rear of a Fox? I have 225's right now, but plan on upgrading to 245's if they'll fit. I got hooked on autocrossing and need to get new tires.

bmatyeah
07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
What wheels are you running?

Higu
07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
225/60/15 Turbines

Ciotti
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I had 255's on the front and back of my fox before I got the Cobra and I've heard of the guys over on Corral running 275's but you may need to do some massaging to get those to clear.

Higu
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I rub with 225's in the front.

I want to go 215's in the front, along with the 245's in the rear. If people are fitting 255+ on them I should be able to shoehorn them on. Mines not a GT though

sean3
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
http://cablegram.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/sledgehammer.jpg

The BFH is required :)

What size are your wheels? What you need to do is piece together sn95 spindles and control arms and all the other stuff for a 5 lug/sn95 suspension setup, buy 95R wheels, mount 275/40/17s, beat the piss out of fenders. You'll have gratuitous amounts of grip!

Run the same size tires all around unless you're interested in understeering more than you already do.

Higu
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Understeer won't be an issue. As far as I have been told, Class H is usually not very competitive, but I have to get new tires or I can't compete anymore because they are dryrotted. I'm going for a little stance for the street as well. And I already have mountains of grip cause of the lack of power and bigger tires. Not being Posi also helps it seems.

Ciotti
07-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Understeer won't be an issue. As far as I have been told, Class H is usually not very competitive, but I have to get new tires or I can't compete anymore because they are dryrotted. I'm going for a little stance for the street as well. And I already have mountains of grip cause of the lack of power and bigger tires. Not being Posi also helps it seems.

H stock is actually hugely competitive and dominated by Mini's, but if none show up you may have a chance. Understeer will absolutely be an issue unless you dial in a bunch of static negative camber (2 degrees is best but 1 degree is a good start if that's all you can get on the stock plates) and not having a limited slip out back will hurt your times a lot because the open diff will make it a lot harder to put power down but that will actually force you to learn throttle control faster.

My 255's were on pony wheels and the fronts rubbed a bit at full lock but it really wasn't all that bad even with a big front sway bar.

jpalamar
07-20-2010, 07:52 AM
If you wanna autocross and want wider tires you need to get wheels that are made to fit bigger tires or you will handle like butthole.

sean3
07-20-2010, 06:30 PM
If you wanna autocross and want wider tires you need to get wheels that are made to fit bigger tires or you will handle like butthole.

Nope. SCCA "stock" can also be referred to as "how much tire can you stuff on a factory rim"? (or spec Z06/spec RX8/spec mini cooper) 275s on an 8" wide wheel is common practice.