PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging my car. Anyone want to help? :)

DoubleOughtCel
02-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm posting this in OT because I think there might be 2 other people here with Toyotas and posting it in Toyota tech would be worthless.

Ok, so I've been doing some reading on www.newcelica.org. GReddy recently released a supercharger for 03-up 2zz-ge Celica's (GT-S). I'm still learning the specs of the system and researching some other things.

First, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to get together and assist me in gathering info to see if supercharging my car is feasible. My tech skill and understanding is limited and I'm sure there is someone on here that would be able to help me better understand it.

Second, I wanted to find out if there is anyone that would like to jump in a give a hand installing the kit if it's possible. The GReddy website and people from the Celica forums have said that the install takes about 8 hours to complete, and that its basically a bolt on kit. I know this figure may change when it comes down to brass tacks, but I'd really appreciate it if someone or a group would like to come together and help me out.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys, it means a lot.

20th1519
02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I am always willing to help out. The question is do you want people you hardly know working on your car?

DoubleOughtCel
02-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I am always willing to help out. The question is do you want people you hardly know working on your car?

Depends. Do you know what you're doing? heh j/k

I actualy know someone who would vouch for you. Mike Corsner. So yea, if you wanted to get in on it I wouldn't have a problem.

TROLL
02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
if you want to start a thread in OT with a link to this thread in the toyota tech section feel free, but you cant intentionally post something in the wrong section because you think it will get more views that way. the more you post in the toyota section the more people will go there...

SilverTurboRidin
02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
hey mike i dont know much about celicas but im always down...gimme a call bro

StealthTC
02-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Theres a guy on Scionlife.com that took a TRD Charger from a Scion tC and put it on his GTS somehow, Ill see if i can find the thread

highmilehatch
02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Have you looked into the XS Engineering kit for the GTS? Pricey but you get what you pay for:

http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=103&idproduct=634

DoubleOughtCel
02-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Have you looked into the XS Engineering kit for the GTS? Pricey but you get what you pay for:

http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=103&idproduct=634

Yes, it's junk. Hated on by the Celica forums. Way overpriced.

BlackBulletTSi
02-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Bro if its a bold on kit they do it up. You'll gain so much knowledge doin it. Also.....I don't know if people noticed but you said they just came out with a supercharger for 03 and ups, well isn't yours a 2000? There for its not gonna fit?

bcspeed215
02-26-2006, 09:21 PM
we would be will to help you with the install.

DoubleOughtCel
02-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Bro if its a bold on kit they do it up. You'll gain so much knowledge doin it. Also.....I don't know if people noticed but you said they just came out with a supercharger for 03 and ups, well isn't yours a 2000? There for its not gonna fit?

Yes, mine is a 2000, but it's still backwards compatible from the newer drive-by-wire system as opposed to my drive-by-cable system.

BlackBulletTSi
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Cool, as long as you looked it up and know it'll fit. I just noticed that you said it and thought I'd ask.

highmilehatch
03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, it's junk. Hated on by the Celica forums. Way overpriced.

Care to explain why it's "junk"?

You said yourself - "My tech skill and understanding is limited"

Don't be so quick to dismiss something you have absolutely no personal experience with.

DoubleOughtCel
03-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Because I wouldn't spend $5000 for a kit that shows small numbers and is unreliable.

highmilehatch
03-26-2006, 07:32 PM
You get what you pay for. The kit comes standard with Apexi Power FC and properly sized injectors. The key to power and reliability is good tuning, which the power FC provides. Turbocharging a non-turbo engine using any sort of piggyback (E-manage, SAFC, etc..) is asking for trouble. Yes, there is the E-manage ultimate, but yet it is still a piggyback, and relies on the stock ECU. If only Greddy put their R&D into an affordable vehicle specific standalone like the FC, rather than offering glorified piggybacks, they would sell like hotcakes. The Power FC has been around for a while, competely replaces the stock ECU, includes safe basemaps for stock injectors, and can be tuned with windows based software via Datalogit, rather than the commander. The commander itself is worth its weight in gold just for the monitoring features - knock, injector duty, water temp, IAT, rpm, ignition timing, etc.. If you think the parts are unreliable, IHI turbos are used in factory applications like Ford, GM, Fiat, Renault, and Subaru. XS intercoolers have a great reputation as well.